Bohemian Or Not Bohemian...that is the question

We see many celebrities today, adopting a "bohemian" sense of style, scarves, hats, tight jeans and vintage looking, loose fitting shirts are just some of the items you may find these stars adorned in. But what really is Bohemian and are these people "Bo-ho" at all?
First of all, we need to establish what bohemian actually is.
The original Bohemians would practice an unconventional lifestyle, usually in the company of like-minded people, often with a musical, artistic or literary pursuit. Bohemians lived a nomadic lifestyle, they were wanderers and adventurers.
There were different types of Bohemia identified, although Bohemian is not easily pigeon holed, these were the five main mind-sets established:
  • Nouveau: bohemians with money who attempt to join traditional bohemianism with contemporary culture
  • Gypsy: drifters, neo-hippies and others with nostalgia forprevious, romanticized culture
  • Beat: also drifters, but non-materialist and art-focused
  • Zen: post beat - focus on spirituality rather than art
  • Dandy: no money, but appear as if they have it by buying and displaying expensive or rare items
The bohemian life was seen in the 1940's hipsters, the 1950's Beat Generation with writers such as Jack Kerouac, William Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg. The 1960's and 70's brought about the much more widespread hippie counterculture.

1940's Hipsters

1950's Beat Generation or 'Beatniks'
1960's Hippies
 
From as late as the 60's and 70's we can see that Bohemian has always been a way of life, a state of mind. All I can see of Bohemian now is in fashion. How many of us heard the phrase 'Bo-Ho' thrown around about five years ago by highstreet shops? The likes of New Look and Topshop stocking whole 'bo-ho' ranges instore? This is where our celebrities come in. Are people like Kate Moss and Sienna Miller for example dressing as themselves or are they 'adopting' a style that just so happens to be very fashionable. A style that adorns itself so well to influential people like these? One thing is certain, they did not invent the look, they are no more individual than the Punk who places himself on Camden Lock bridge each day for a £1 per photo.
The image has become particularly popular in recent months, the 70's Prarie look has thrown up on many a pop star and actress. Take Pixie Lott for example, doesn't she look pretty in this picture. Her blonde hair tied loosley off her face by an aztec style headband, the 70's, gypsy style jumpsuit she's wearing, the greenery around her, a picture that could be from a time capsule:


Well, let me just remind you that this is the same girl who sings: "Put the plug in the socket give me all your power, when you turn it on"

Wow, such depth. It begs the question, what has Bohemian become in the eye of the masses? Just a fashion statement. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kate Moss is a well known bohemian/rock 'n' roll styled model, business woman and fashion designer. The woman who was the second highest paid model ever, but prefers to be associated with musicians and actors (Johnny Depp and Pete Doherty ex love interests) has been a known festival go-er, sporting denim shorts and Hunter wellies or a floaty gypsy style dress and - yes, Hunter wellies may I add, the fashionable, expensive make of Wellington boot, not the best value. The thing about Kate is, she pulls it off, she does look cool and stylish. However, her style is not her own, there were so many before her who embodied such uncanny style resemblence, it's hard to believe Kate did it herself. 




Looking rather bohemian inthe first photo, festival wear - which was the name given to the following summers clothing range, highstreet teaches us in 2008 how to dress appropriately for Glastonbury because without Kate Moss we had no idea? Hmmm.

Aside from this, I do not only see Kate Moss in these photos. I see Stevie Nicks in the fourth picture, I can also see Brigitte Bardot, Pamela Coursen and Marianne Faithfull:   
 
Stevie Nicks

Marianne Faithfull

Brigitte Bardot

Pamela Coursen
Ms Moss or Mrs Hince, whichever she is known as these days is not the only famed one, borrowing a fashioned lifestyle from past true owners. There are many celebrities I have seen in magazines and on websites who have also bought into this style of dress. I must say they always look beautiful, but then you always would if you had the money to look top notch bohemian?

MK Olsen

Lindsay Lohan


Sienna Miller

Nicole Richie
They do all look wonderful though don't they? However this is not what Bohemian is about, not what it was ever about. Bohemian is a lifestyle, a lifestyle that cannot be bought, no matter how much money you have. It is a state of mind and a way of life and as we all know, Money and Bohemian never really went very well together anyway.... 
Janis Joplin

Jimi Hendrix

Edie Sedgwick

Pamela Coursen

Jim Morrison
 

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I'm Sophie, my flat looks like a charity shop, i have pieces of furniture ranging from 120 years old to 5 years old. I love music, I couldn't live without it, my moods are defined by what I listen to and how I dress tomorrow will depend on what I feel like listening to tomorrow morning. I sell Vintage clothing online. I'm very impulsive, I will watch a program about the Antarctic and decide I want a baby Penguin as a pet, tomorrow it'll be a Bat, next week, a Tiger. I have an obsession with collecting gaudy ornaments that nobody likes and I love hats. I find it hard to concentrate on something for a long time unless I am fully interested in it, but when I am, I can devote hours of my life to it. My favourite food in the world is Japanese noodle soup, doesn't matter what's in it, I want to be Jewish, I love Morrissey and have an ulikely unexplained crush on Blackadder the 2nd, but not Rowan Atkinson.

Followers

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow BeatnikMrsBlonde