Amy Winehouse Ballet Pumps

Every celebrity has a trademark look. For Madonna, it's the Marilyn do and red lipstick, Gaga, well just about anything that shouldn't be worn but still looks good.
Amy Winehouse however, had probably the strongest of images and most definately the least expensive to uphold. Of course there's the huge, nested beehive with long, gypsy-like tendrils of hair falling all around it, a Fred Perry shirt that shows a little more chest that what Mr Perry originally wore playing tennis, then there's the miniscule denim shorts with a belt that really does do its job.

But!

Who could forget, right at the bottom of many a Winehouse outfit, the pink, satin, ballet pumps?

Come wind, rain, snow, sleet, sun, where Amy went, those shoes went. They certainly were a favourite and definately were a major part of her trademark look.

I, myself have been previously guilty of scanning high street shops for such shoes. Unfortunately, most dolly-pump shoes in shops tend to be made of plastic, a stupid colour or pattern, or have a bow or buckle of some sort on them. No such shoe to be found. I gave up.

I came across an article online one day, discussing the footwear of Miss Winehouse, stating that these were in fact actual ballet shoes and that professional ballerinas had voiced their opinions on which brand they believed to be 'THE' shoe. My initial reaction to finding this out was originally a face that could only be desribed as a '5 hours of dancing in 6inch stilettos, then embarking on the 3mile walk home face'.
Let's face it, dance shoes are made for relatively short term wear and not designed to pound the streets of London and those shoes probably saw more of London than a foreign tourist with 48hrs to see everything. My future 75 year old self decided for the present 24 year old that I should probably attach myself to a different footwear trend.

However, I must admit, the shoes continued to creep back into my psyche and I was guilty once more of 'looking around' for this. This time, online.
There are a few websites which state various places suspected of supplying Amy with ballet shoes. One of them was Freed.

 
These shoes are the ones suggested by Ballet Teachers and at a first glance, I agree, they do look very much like the shoes Amy wore. However, one thing I did notice from pictures of her shoes was there is no tie on any of her shoes.





There was also this make, Gandolfi, which allegedly, she was seen buying shoes from, but these look a little more peachy than pink:


I eventually stumbled across some Ballet shoes, whilst on ebay, after putting up more clothes. Now these certainly looked very much like the photo's, under £10 and full sole which is said to be type worn.

These cost me around £7, they stock adult and child sizes, up to size 9 and look identical. No doubt they are probably not the precise make she wore, but they are the closest I have found to the original.



9 comments:

Daisy Carter said...

Very nice dresses and shoes thanks for this postBallerina pumps

BeatnikMrsBlonde said...

You're welcome! Happy you like it!

Stormy Effect said...

Good job on the research! :-)

Amanda Counts Tanner said...

Hi... I know I'm late to the game here, but I know a lot about ballet shoes, being a dancer. The brand or whether there are ties on them is pretty irrelevant (dancer sew their own ribbons on, the shoes always come ribbonless). These are de-shanked pointe shoes. Pointe shoes come with a wooden shank to support the dancer on pointe, but they can be de-shanked in order to walk around comfortably on flat. Freeds are a good brand for anyone. You can have them de-shanked for you at any dance store.

Anonymous said...

Here you can learn exactly where she bought her ballet shoes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T1jrckHi3s

slipperman86 said...

Amy Winehouse wore satin Freed of London ballet slippers for the most part (not de-shanked pointe shoes, not flats). There are instances of her wearing canvas ballet slippers (white ones) but satin is her top choice. The reason why there is no bow is she tucked them in or just pulled the drawstring out. If you zoom in you can see the string tucked in.

Women in the 50s-80s worn real ballet slippers on the street all the time. Capezio Teknik 200 was one of the most popular pair. Sure they aren't designed for the street but as long as one isn't wearing them in the weather but on flat city pavement they will last a season. Also, since they aren't left and right, one can flip the shoes when ones side wears down to prolong the life.

Unknown said...

Hi im from San Diego California and I want the shoes exactly Amy Winehouse had please gimmie a contact in USA so I can buy those shoes ballet satin ivory.G

Unknown said...

I Can confirm that the Ballet Shoes Amy wore were indeed purchased from Gandolfi. We used to have a store at 150 Marylebone Road, London. The Pink Satin is not always the same shade that is why you would see some that were lighter than others. Also she would the tuck the cord that you would pull to tighten the top of the shoe in at the front. Amy would herself come in and buy the Ballet Shoes and has been wearing our Ballet Shoes since she was at Sylvia Young Theatre School for whom we make the Dance Uniform. On one occasion Kelly Osbourne came in to buy the Satin Shoes for her as a gift. (I work at Gandolfi and have done for 26 years)

Anonymous said...

I really miss women wearing ballet slippers as street shoes.

About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I'm Sophie, my flat looks like a charity shop, i have pieces of furniture ranging from 120 years old to 5 years old. I love music, I couldn't live without it, my moods are defined by what I listen to and how I dress tomorrow will depend on what I feel like listening to tomorrow morning. I sell Vintage clothing online. I'm very impulsive, I will watch a program about the Antarctic and decide I want a baby Penguin as a pet, tomorrow it'll be a Bat, next week, a Tiger. I have an obsession with collecting gaudy ornaments that nobody likes and I love hats. I find it hard to concentrate on something for a long time unless I am fully interested in it, but when I am, I can devote hours of my life to it. My favourite food in the world is Japanese noodle soup, doesn't matter what's in it, I want to be Jewish, I love Morrissey and have an ulikely unexplained crush on Blackadder the 2nd, but not Rowan Atkinson.

Followers

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow BeatnikMrsBlonde